Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Avis Rental #2 - Nissan Altima

 I returned to San Francisco, CA for another 2 week visit and upon my arrival to the SFO airport and the Avis rental (this time I went with the airport Avis) I was expecting another economy car like the Ford Focus I had previously. Much to my surprise I was given a 2012 Nissan Altima - bright red. I haven't had much experience with Nissan in the past. My impression of these cars was that they were more for College age folks that wanted something flashy, but still affordable (come to find out, affordable isn't necessarily the case). Since I personally prefer a practical or fun (I know - two extremes) and on the smaller side of cars, this just was never in my radar of makes I would pursue.

My first impression of the car was that of technological overwhelming. I was handed two "keys" (more like Fobs) that were very odd to me. I have a feeling that I expressed confusion and bewilderment on my face since the Avis rental car attendant said to me "You use this button to unlock, and then push the button to start the car." That's right, I "push the button" to start the car.
There's always this slight adjustment period one goes through when getting into a new rental car for the first time. Adjust the seat, check the mirrors, quickly figure out the radio (music is a must have), and get to know the wipers and headlights before you drive off. This one took a bit longer of an adjustment with the way it starts up. Because there is no key, I had to figure out to press the break and then push the start button.

Once the car was started I was well on my way. The car handled well, and acceleration onto the freeway went with ease. Not to mention how it took the corners - that was a little too much fun. Nissan debuted the fourth generation Altima in 2007 and since then the Altima line has seen minor changes. The Altima Coupe (which is what I was driving) drives much like the Sedan, but adds a unique body styling, sportier suspension tuning, and more aggressively bolstered seats. Which is what left me in awe as I felt like I was driving a high priced sports car.
 The 2.5 Liter 4-cylinder engine gives you plenty to zip past those slow going cars in the right lane, and the CVT Automatic transmission allows you the freedom to just drive.

I actually looked into buying one while I stay  in San Francisco, CA more often but the newer models are definitely out of my price range with the 2012 Nissan Altima Sedan starting at $20,550 and the 2013 Nissan Altima Coupe starting at $24,040. I could probably get an older model with the 2000 Nissan Altima Sedan priced around $4,000, which isn't bad.

I definitely enjoyed driving this one, and began to get pretty spoiled with the fob. I had gotten into the habit of just leaving the fob in my purse and using the push button on the door to open the car. From there I just put my foot on the break and started the car. I was too easy and convenient, that when I got home to my Kia I actually felt burdened with the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment